With the flavors of cherries, pistachios and chocolate, spumoni is a beloved frozen treat that sparks feelings of nostalgia in those of us who enjoyed as kids. We are of the firm belief that proper spumoni should contain bits of fruit and nuts, lest the ice cream venture into Neapolitan territory. Think of these cookies as grown-up versions of the quintessential Italian dessert just right for sharing during the holidays.
- 2 (16 tbs) sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 6 oz (2 bars) Theo 70% Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing on medium until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to mixer and mix until flour is incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate, pistachios, and cherries by hand. Scoop small spoonful’s onto a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until edges are brown.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.