While our favorite brownies, cookies, and hot toddies are true delights during this season of celebration, we must admit that after indulging with friends and family this week we’re looking for a healthy and delicious way to get back into our daily routine. And what better way to do that than with nibs? We like to toss them into salads for a healthy crunch packed with antioxidants.
The cocoa flavor of roasted nibs marry so well with earthy mushrooms, slightly bitter greens, and caramel flavor notes of aged cheese that we’d venture to say that this is a match made in salad heaven. Give this recipe a try or let the idea inspire you to discover the richness and pleasant crunch that nibs can bring to your favorite salad!
Mixed Greens with Mushrooms and Nibs
- 5-6 cups (5 or 6 large handfuls) mixed greens, such as spinach, arugula, mizuna, chard, or tatsoi, large leaves chopped
- 7 or 8 medium cremini or button mushrooms, sliced (about 1/2 pound)
- Generous 1/2 cup shredded aged gouda cheese (about 1.5 oz)
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Theo roasted cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, plus more if needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Sauté until golden brown, 7-8 minutes. Cool slightly, then toss in a large bowl with the greens, cheese, and nibs. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a tablespoon of sherry vinegar, and freshly ground pepper. Toss again. Taste for seasoning and add additional vinegar, salt, and/or pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
Serves 4-6 people as a side dish.